Integrating QGIS/Postgis into a forestry client's workflow
Small clients can be challenging. NRGS has a technology challenged client that started drowning in shapefiles in 2014. The data drowning also started causing other issues with software and workflow. During 2014 we started a slow migration into QGIS and Postgis/Postgresql. It became a bit of a challenge since we had to "throw out" bad habits and start redefining workflow and expectations. Surprisingly by the end we went from 1 to 3 GIS Capable computers using QGIS and a working PostGIS database. Surprisingly also because the consultant who had been threatening to learn PostGIS finally had to do it.